Saturday, November 13, 2010

Needs more fermented bean paste!

Tonight I made miso soup!

4 cups water
1.5 tsp of iriko dashi (a powdered stock made from dried sardines)
About 5 big shiitake  mushrooms (destalked and sliced in strips)
A half cube of silken tofu (Should have picked up a firmer tofu)
1/2 cup of white miso paste

Once again I got the basics of the recipe from internet browsing and made due with what I had available (mushrooms instead of leeks).

Now, surprisingly enough, I never had any miso soup while I was in Japan, so I'm not sure how close I am to the real deal, but it was most definitely edible and very filling. I had 2 bowls and I'm still stuffed.

For anyone interested in getting some of the harder to find ingredients in Japanese cooking, and haven't had much luck at their local Asian store. I highly recommend this website!http://www.marukaiestore.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment